I love clean desserts. The obvious reason being that I feel less guilty stuffing my face with dates compared to doughnuts.
But it’s also about being a responsible citizen. Spreading the evils of refined sugar to fellow human beings just isn’t the right thing to do. Just not in my heart, you know? At least not when there’s equally delicious alternatives out there like this one.
Pecan Pie Squares
The original recipe is pretty spectacular already and goes great with coffee or tea. The date filling just blows my mind.
Pecan Pie Tarts
I immediately thought of butter pecan tarts when I saw the recipe and knew I had to replicate the form. They are just too cute. I recommend using a mini muffin pan (the smallest you can find).
- Preheat the oven and make the crust as directed in the recipe.
- Lightly grease a mini muffin pan with coconut oil or EVOO.
- Press the crust mixture into the muffin pan to create a shell.
- Bake the unfilled shells for the first 10 minutes. While baking, make the date filling.
- After 10 minutes, remove crusts from oven and pour in your desired amount of date filling.
- Press a pecan into the center and continue baking for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing.
Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
I think I have a melted-dark-chocolate-on-everything problem. These are SO good with dark chocolate. My recommendation is to freeze them and eat them right out of the freezer. Best thing ever!
- Make the pecan pie squares according to the original recipe.
- Place a small pot within a larger pot of water and bring to a boil (you don’t need much water).
- Chop dark chocolate and place in small pot to melt. Stir until melted, then remove from heat.
- Place your pecan pie squares on a baking pan lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Dip your squares into the chocolate or use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over top.
- Place your “dressed” pecan pie squares on the paper and let harden in freezer for a few minutes.
- Store in airtight container in freezer. Can be eaten frozen.
Thanks for joining us here and on Instagram during the paleo challenge by That Clean Life! We hope you can use some of the variations in your next meal plans before the next clean eating challenge in April!